Thursday, September 8, 2011

Who I'd Be...

Yah, I know I said I'd do the adoption blog next but I'm just not feeling it today. Went too far into detail yesterday and it put my emotions on red alert. I guess it'd be fair to say, "insert rule 5 here" again. Instead, I'm going to write about one of the Broadway musicals I cannot wait to see! I've been told that "Shrek the Musical" is coming to Tulsa, but as far as I can tell, unless they add it to the existing line up, it's not there. They do add shows, so I'm hoping that is in their plans! Anyway, a song from the show that has resonated with me is called, "Who I'd Be". It tells who Shrek would be if he got to write his own story. What he would do and what his life would have become if he were given the pen to write his own fate. Made me wonder who I'd be if I were the creator of my life's pages. Now, I know we make our own choices and in turn write our stories, but walk with me here...imagine no one telling you "NO!", no drawbacks in your dreams, nothing holding you from reaching those far off places and destinations, nothing and no one standing in your way; not even yourself...Who would you be?

"I guess I’d be a hero—with sword and armor clashing,looking semi-dashing, a shield within my grip
Or else I’d be a Viking, and live a life of daring, while smelling like a herring, upon a Viking ship
I’d sail away. I’d see the world. I’d reach the farthest reaches.
I’d feel the wind. I’d taste the salt and sea, and maybe storm some beaches.
That’s who I’d be."
Those are the opening lines to "Who I'd Be". (thank you stlyrics.com for the official lyrics) Makes me wonder where I'd go, what I'd do, and how I'd do it. If I were to stand in Shrek's shoes (do Ogres wear shoes?) how would my version of "Who I'd Be" go???

"I guess I'd be a ___ --- with ____ and ____...." what goes in my blanks? Would I want to trade the life I've been given and all the pains, downfalls, heartbreaks, joys, successes, people---good and bad---with which I've come into contact? Trade my family and friends for ones I'd meet in my Utopian situation? Would I come into contact with these people anyway? Would I be Tripp's mom still? John's wife? Ryan, Lauren, and Meghan's sister? Hmmmm.....

Looking at some of the hard times and crazy things I've dealt with in my life, writing them out sounds pretty dang good. But then I think, they're what's made me stronger today. Stronger in my faith, personality, and insecurities. They're what helps me be compassionate to others facing troubles I've seen. Even trouble(d) people I've come in contact with (or will come in contact with) shape my views. Made me see what I did and did not want to do with my life. I'm not saying every choice I've ever made is awesome---God and my parents can tell you that's not true AT ALL---but they are what made me who I am.

I tell you this, I wouldn't trade my blond haired, blue eyed angel for anything. John's ok too, lol! My family is crazy and loud and big, but I wouldn't trade one of them either. I'm starting to think maybe my life isn't so bad anyway...

By the end of the play Shrek sees that his life is perfect the way it is and that he's got everything he ever needed or wanted. You come full circle in these things, you know?! Makes you happy you have what you do, and in my case, thankful for what you don't. Dreams are good to have and having the ability to dream is awesome too. But maybe that's why they're called "dreams". It gives you something to think about and take you away from your actual life for a while and when you come back down to reality you appreciate it so much more. I'm actually really glad and thankful I'm not the official writer of my life. Thanks God, you saved me again!

No comments: